Home » Instructions, Care, and Safety for Expandable Hoses
Instructions, Care, and Safety for Expandable Hoses
Expandable hoses make your life easier by taking away some of the hard work of using a hose in your garden and around your house. Our expandable hoses are tough and durable, but you can extend the life of the product if you know and follow a few basic guidelines for using, caring for, and being safe when you have an expandable hose.
Instructions for Using an Expandable Hose
• Before you start using your expandable hose for the first time, check that the rubber ring is installed inside the end of the hose that connects to the faucet, or the hose may leak.
• Attach the side of the hose with the female fitting and the rubber ring to the water source.
• Turn the ON / OFF valve on the far side of the hose to the OFF position.
• Turn the water on at the faucet, allowing the water pressure in the hose to increase gradually while the hose valve is closed. The hose will automatically expand up to 3 times its original length when full.
• When the hose is fully expanded, turn the ON / OFF valve at the far end of the hose to the ON position and use the hose like any ordinary garden hose.
• Screw a spray nozzle or a water wand onto the threads at the end of the hose, just like you would do on a traditional garden hose. When used without a spray nozzle, the hose will contract several feet or more when the water is turned on and flowing.
• When using a nozzle, slowly open the valve on the hose to the desired working water pressure, and then adjust the water flow with the valve on the nozzle or other attachment, if it has one.
• If the attachment does not have its own valve, adjust the flow of water using the valve on the hose.
• Make sure all connections are tight and washers are in place to prevent fittings from leaking.
• After use, turn the water off at the faucet. You can leave the hose in place for a short time, if you plan to come back soon and continue using it.
• When the hose is not in use, open the ON / OFF valve at the far end of the hose and allow the water in the hose to drain out. If you are using a nozzle, also open the nozzle. As the water begins to drain from the hose, it will automatically contract back into its original size.
• The expandable hose is designed for outdoor use in residential settings. Do not use the hose for commercial applications or for work where the water pressure must exceed 80 PSI.
Caring for Your Expandable Hose
• When you are not using the hose, turn off the water at the faucet. The hose should not be kept under pressure for long periods of time.
• Keep the water pressure in the hose under 80 PSI.
• Do not stretch-out the hose, unless it is filled with water.
• When not in use and during cold or freezing weather, completely drain the hose. If possible, store the hose indoors during the winter. Not draining the hose and storing it in freezing temperatures could cause the hose to burst.
• During hot weather, drain the hose when not in use and store it in the shade.
• Do not use the hose for delivery of hot water. Hot water can damage the hose.
• Do not drag the hose on your driveway or concrete. As it is made of polyester, this will substantially decrease the life of your hose.
Safety Concerns You Should Know About
• Expandable hoses contract back to their original length very quickly. Keep people and pets clear of the hose when it is contracting, and ensure the hose will not snag on sharp edges as it contracts.
• Do not stretch or expand the hose when it is empty. The hose is intended to expand only when it is filled with water. This hose can stretch to up to three times its “relaxed” or original length, and if it is stretched with no water in it and accidently released, it will quickly snap back and could cause personal injury.
• Do not drink from the hose or use it as a source for potable water. While our hoses are lead-free, a hose is a tool used and stored outdoors and it can be exposed to conditions potentially harmful to humans, such as:
– Mold & bacteria
– Lawn and Garden chemicals
– Animal waste
– Stagnant water
– Other harmful substances
• The hose is not a toy! Don’t let children play with it, and keep children and animals away from the work area when using the hose. Do not leave the hose unattended when children and animals are nearby.
• Risk of suffocation! Keep the packaging material away from children and animals.
If you have any questions or problems with our expandable hose, or you need more information about this product, please contact us right away. We are happy to help you!